Tuesday 9 August 2011

Week 4 begins... XCode be trollin!

Today (Monday) I finally got to really start my code. I have many problems to solve in the next few weeks. Things just seem to be continuously added to what I have to do. Monday has been very productive I have been firing through the Galaxy part of the app which is now called Astronomo. I was working on switching views between portrait and landscape which was much easier than I thought it would be. I need to get some table stuff sorted out tonight and start implementing my core data then tomorrow I hope I can get what I get stuck on in core data explained and have a huge amount of the basic framework out of the way.

Towards the end of last week we were given lectures on Maps and annotations and also a lecture on core data and web access. The lectures were good but somewhat hard to follow with not much background in the subjects and the lovely XCode crashing in the middle so I just sat and took notes. I am making a lot of progress now and I think I will have my app finished on time as long as my mentor Luke doesnt go "dya know what would be cool" another dozen or so times. he is very good at adding layers of complexity to everything. Its all off course productive but you sometimes see people with apps where it is just the normal stock Apple tool kit that is used, something in the grand scheme of things is very easy to implement. although he is right for the most part. i did something today that i though would take like 3 days in 2 hours. well i have the foundations for what i need to implement down, I just need to do a bit of math and the the graphic work from the designers to implement. I think Luke see's something that I dont know, he knows these things are not hard to implement but i dont know how to do and im like this will take ages to do, considering I thought core data something that should be so simple to implement is so difficult, I have no idea how to do it but with my good friend the internet most tasks can be accomplished pretty easily. some things you would expect to easily find are very difficult to find but you always get there in the end.

this is an image from Code Slice which is an interesting sort of monthly technology conference internal to Kainos where senior engineers and people from other departments come and fill you with their wisdom. I have gone to 2 of these and they are really good. helpful and interesting. Have to be in work at 8 on a Friday morning to go to it but I think it is really worth it because learning from professionals is the real way to learn.


The following 2 photos from Kainos board room is where we get much off our lectures and other interesting stuff. its where we learned about the Google maps api and annotations, Core data and off course web parsing. Google maps is lovely to use Core data however is definitely not. Sometimes I think I would be better off smashing my head repeatidly off of a wall then trying to get through core data. Once it is implemented though it is brilliant. 

And as promised my proposed splash screen from the 2 geniuses in graphic design.



No comments:

Post a Comment